expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

July 10, 2016

The Calm Before the Storm

Mar 1, 2016 - Anxiously counting down the days, an ongoing theme since the injury back in early January. In two days I will be back in to see the surgeon and hopefully get an idea of when and how surgery will take place to rebuild and replace my evaporated ACL ligament.
I've put in 4-6 hours of physiotherapy every week since the injury and am feeling great - all with a grain of salt of course, but nonetheless I'm optimistic, moving freely and am pain free. Rob at Nova Physio tells me I'm at and even beyond the strength he would like to see before going in for the procedure, which is great news - my work is paying off.

Now to get a date, set another aspect of this journey into the past and on to the next stage of my return.
Me vs Cross
March 3, 2016 - Today's the day! It's been a good week, I did an hour long walk to the beach with Alex and have been feeling stronger and more positive with my knee. Honestly, almost feeling like I could have battled those beautiful trails in California if we hadn't have cancelled the trip - an ambitious but ultimately silly idea in this state.
Hoping for an update and surgery scheduling - after some good discussion I get a rough timeline, which is all that can be offered after some recent issues and backlog of voluntary surgeries, and am itching to get this next stage underway. As of now I am looking at another 8-12 week wait realistically - could be sooner, could be later. I've done all I can to exceed expectations and be both physically and mentally prepared for the procedure and the months of hard-work to follow.
IMG_2509.JPG
I'm told I can begin to jog and progress to a run on a treadmill, which is a chore to most but was such exciting news for me. I'd been starting to feel the 8 weeks of sedentary life after 25 years of the opposite so the opportunity to move again sounds amazing. I would be lying if I said it wasn't a bit scary as well but that's half the battle, you've gotta believe you can come out of any setback stronger and better prepared for the next hurdle.
So now we wait. I've got some nervous first steps to take again and lots of hard work ahead - sounds like a challenge, which I love! I've been incredibly lucky and have the most amazing underpaid nurse on the planet. In the meantime we have a birthday to celebrate and a week in Jamaica to look forward to. It's going to be a wild few months but all worth it to be prepared to come out better on the other side of surgery.
-KC
IMG_0456.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment